DeCarolis History

80 years of quality service.

1938

In 1938, Louis DeCarolis, Sr., bought a truck and used it to transport day laborers to and from farmers' fields. It did not take long for Clapp's Baby Food to ask him to haul produce to their processing plant.

Out of these modest beginnings, he created a small carting company in 1938, known as DeCarolis Trucking Company, and set in place a plan to add other transportation services.


1940's

In the early years, DeCarolis specialized in heavy-duty trucking and outside repairs, sometimes renting out its own equipment to customers.


1950's

Louis DeCarolis, Sr. added a truck terminal, and expanded into warehousing.


Late 1950's

The business grew quickly by adding a truck stop, and truck rental and leasing.


1959

Became a Diamond T truck dealer, which became Diamond Reo in 1967.


1961

Sons Louis J and Paul took over company


1962

“Warehouse on Wheels” - Storage Trailer Division established


1963

Name changed to DeCarolis Truck Rental Inc.


1964

DeCarolis became a Thermo King dealer, providing and servicing refrigerated equipment for trucks and trailers.


1966

Paul literally "came out of the shop" to assume the presidency. Paul continued his father's and brother's progressive thinking and determination to become a leader in transportation services.


1968

Paul began to phase out much of the sales and outside service business to concentrate exclusively on the rental and full-service leasing businesses.

Paul DeCarolis

1975

DeCarolis moves to new location on Colfax Street. The new location was designed with plenty of space: truck and trailer repair bays, a machine shop, a rebuilding area, a paint and collision area, an automatic truck wash, a safety and training classroom, a full-service fuel island, and acres for parking.


1976

DeCarolis celebrates the Nation's birthday with specially-painted trucks.


1978

DeCarolis is a founding member of the newly-formed American Truck Leasing Network (AmtraLease), a trade organization for independent truck leasing companies. The membership provided emergency truck repairs for customers whose trucks travel outside local service areas.


1978

DeCarolis joined the Truck Renting and Leasing Association (TRALA), a trade organization to help its members compete in North America.


1980

DeCarolis opens it's first location outside of Rochester, in the town of Geneva, NY.


1980

Colfax Street location finishes massive expansion to add a Trailer, Collision and Paint Shop. This new maintenance facility now had the space, state-of-the-art equipment, and trained specialists to handle more in-depth paint and collision work, as well as perform any phase of van body and trailer repairs. Fabrication, frame modification, and after-market installations were much-needed services for DeCarolis' transportation customers. The new paint booth was the only one in the Rochester area that could accommodate large trucks and trailers.

Corporate offices moved next door and the parking lot now accommodates hundreds of trucks and trailers.


1982

After securing the dealership for Trailmobile, a heavy duty parts and service supplier, the company soon found it was able to purchase all makes of trailer parts and components competitively, and pass these savings to parts customers.


1985

Henrietta Branch opens to better serve the Greater Rochester community.


1985

The fleet continues to grow.


1987

The Buffalo branch opened in 1987 after a commitment from a DeCarolis' vendor, Zappia Enterprises, to rent a small shop and lease them several tractors for their mail hauling operations. With a small base, DeCarolis now had service and support for its Rochester customers and the springboard to build & operate a full-fledged branch.


1987

DeCarolis is named a Rochester Top 100 for the first time. This is a list of the region's fastest growing, privately held companies.

Top 100

1987

Perry Branch opens


1988

The Syracuse branch opened after the purchase of DeLuxe Leasing, a major storage trailer competitor. Originally, it was intended to operate only as a storage trailer business and provide emergency maintenance services for current customers traveling in the area.


1989

The Heavy Duty Parts Division was established with the purpose of being a "total fleet supplier." Through the years, DeCarolis supplied its branches and customers with the parts, supplies, tools, and equipment to keep their shops operating and their fleet on the road. A dedicated sales force was put in place, point-of-sale systems were established, and a delivery network was created.


1995

Buffalo Branch moves to a newly built, state-of-the-art facility on William Street


1996

DeCarolis acquires Monroe School Transportation, located near it's corporate location. Monroe provides student transportation for local school districts, schools, and organizations. Monroe also provides charter buses for organizations and events.


Late 1990's

With DeCarolis' vehicles logging millions of miles each year, technological advances eliminated the need for paper accounting. Paul's son, Louis, heads the information technology department that created a live communications link to branches and departments. DeCarolis' staff has immediate access to customer information, human resources data, vehicle facts and history, an interactive maintenance program, and other vital information.


2000

Syracuse Branch moves to larger location, with new full-service fuel island and plenty of truck parking.


2003

Heavy Duty Parts moves to its own location, featuring a large warehouse, showroom, and parts counter. The distribution center, serving all of NYS, becomes the third building on our Colfax Street campus.


2006

AmtraLease and NationaLease merge to form a much larger network. NationaLease offers its members and their customers true North American reciprocal service in case a truck needs service and fuel. National Connections, Local Ownership.


2006

Binghamton Branch opens


2007

Elmira Branch opens, so we can better serve the Southern Tier.


2012

Heavy Duty Parts Distribution Center expands to a 25,000 sq ft warehouse, with a larger showroom and training room for customers.


2014

DeCarolis is named to the list of the region's largest employers. The Rochester Business Journal's RBJ75 recognizes the top 75 local businesses and organizations.


2016

DeCarolis is awarded a Top Workplaces honor by the Rochester Democrat and Chronicle. The Top Workplaces lists are based solely on the results of an employee feedback survey. Several aspects of workplace culture were measured, including Pay & Benefits, Alignment, Execution, and Communication, and more.

Top Workplace

2018

DeCarolis sells Monroe School Transportation, Inc., after successfully serving the Greater Rochester area with hundreds of school buses transporting thousands of students, driven by hundreds of local residents.


National Lease logo

A NationaLease Partner

North American network of independent truck companies.

As part of the NationaLease network, DeCarolis has you covered wherever the road takes you. Our partners will support you when your vehicle leaves our service area. It's another way you can depend on DeCarolis.